- Research Fellow, Institute for Religion and Critical Inquiry
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) University of Virginia
- Master of Theology (Th.M.) Duke University
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.) Emory University
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Grove City College, Summa cum laude
- Major: Philosophy
- Desiring Divinity: Self-deification in Ancient Jewish and Christian Mythmaking. Forthcoming from Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Refutation of All Heresies: Text, Translation, and Notes, Writings from the Greco-Roman World 40 (Atlanta: SBL Press, 2015).
- Iesus Deus: The Early Christian Depiction of Jesus as a Mediterranean God (Minneapolis: Fortress Academic, 2014).
- Becoming Divine: An Introduction to Deification in Western Culture (Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2013)
- We Are Being Transformed: Deification in Paul’s Soteriology (Beihefte zum Zeitschrift für Neutestamentliche Wissenschaft 187; Berlin & New York: Walter de Gruyter, 2012).
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- “You are Gods”: Deification in the Naassene Writer and Clement of Alexandria,” Harvard Theological Review, forthcoming 2016.
- “Gnostic Self-deification: The Case of Simon of Samaria,” Gnosis: Journal of Gnostic Studies 1 (2016): 157-76.
- “Phikola: A Mysteries Goddess at Phlya,” Religion in the Roman Empire 2:2 (2016): 279-93.
- “‘I Will Become Him’: Homology and Deification in the Gospel of Thomas,” Journal of Biblical Literature, 133:2 (2015): 427-47.
- “The Deification of Moses in Philo of Alexandria” The Studia Philonica Annual 26 (2014): 1-27.
- “The Wondrous Exchange: Irenaeus and Eastern Valentinians on the Soteriology of Interchange,” The Journal of Early Christian Studies 22 (2014): 311-41.
- “The God ‘Human’ and Human Gods: Models of Deification in Irenaeus and the Apocryphon of John,” Zeitschrift für Antikes Christentum 18 (2014): 70-94.
- “Transformation through a Mirror: Moses in 2 Cor 3:18,” Journal for the Study of the New Testament 34 (2012): 286-97.
- “Paul’s Mosaic Ascent: An Interpretation of 2 Cor 12:7-9,” New Testament Studies 57 (2011): 238-57.
- “Self Sacrifice to Save the Life of Another in Jewish and Christian Traditions: A Comparative Analysis,” Heythrop Journal 50:6 (2009): 912-922.
- Hermetica II: The Excerpts of Stobaeus, Papyrus Fragments, and Testimonies in a new English Translation with Notes and Introductions with Cambridge University Press.
- Previous Positions
- Instructor, Department of Religion and Culture, Virginia Tech
- UVA Religion Dept., Summer 2013
- UVA Classics Dept, Spring 2014-2015
- College of William & Mary, Spring 2016.
- Previous Positions
- Esotericism and Mysticism in Antiquity session 1: Early Judaism (Society of Biblical Literature, 2014
- Steering Committee for Bible, Myth, and Myth Theory, Society of Biblical Literature
Professional Society Membership
- The American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- The Society of Biblical Literature (SBL)
- The American Philological Association (APA)
- Nov 2009: “Paul’s Mosaic Ascent: An Interpretation of 2 Cor 12:7-9” delivered to the SBL 2 Corinthians Group
- Nov 2010: “Transformation through a Mirror: Moses in 2 Cor 3:18,”delivered to the SBL Pauline Epistles Group.
- Nov 2012: “Jesus, Hermes and Dionysus: The Divine Child in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas” delivered to the SBL Christian Apocrypha Group
- Nov 2013: “The Gospel of Gemination: Deification in the Gospel of Thomas,” delivered to the Esotericism and Mysticism in Antiquity Group
- Nov 2014: “You shall be as Gods!” Naassene and Simonian Types of Deification,” delivered to the SBL Nag Hammadi and Gnosticism Group
- March 2015: “Gnostic Self-deification: Real Claim or Heresiological Construction?” delivered to the Gnostic Countercultures Conference, Rice University
- Nov 2015: “‘I am God’: The Primal Human as Primeval Self-deifier,” delivered to the SBL Bible, Myth and Myth Theory Group
- Nov 2015: “Self-knowledge in Monoïmos and the Hermetic Corpus,” delivered to the SBL Mysticism, Esotericism and Gnosticism in Antiquity Group
- May 2016: “Jesus Christ and Mythology” delivered to the New Perspectives Group, Goshen Indiana on May 22, 2016.